Saturday, August 18, 2012

Libby Edelman returns to Brown Shoe Co

Libby Edelman is back at Brown Shoe Co. after a nine-month sabbatical, but her eponymous footwear line will not be making a return.

Instead, Edelman said she would serve as a "jack of all trades," working alongside husband and business partner Sam Edelman on his namesake brand, as well as the new juniors' line, Circus, and yet-to-be-announced upcoming projects. Her role will have a special focus on licensing, Edelman said.

"Sam has a lot on his plate, so I am coming back to help him," added the designer, who spent her time off traveling to Peru and Mexico. During the break, she first volunteered with Soles4Souls, then focused on photography, including attending a workshop with acclaimed photographer Mary Ellen Mark. "I got to step away and be creative and just sort of clear my head, clean the palate, and now I'm coming back."

As for the nixing of her own line, Edelman was upbeat. "I'll be able to be a little bit more objective because I won't be entrenched in one thing," she said.
Libby Edelman Sam Edelman

The designer, who announced her departure in early November, was unofficially back on the job this week, but won't formally rejoin the Sam Edelman team until September. "Next week I plan on shopping the city while everyone is in Las Vegas [for FN Platform]," she added. "I'm very excited to be back."

The designer also is creating a photography book compiled from the many images she captured while on sabbatical. "[The hiatus] gave me a chance to start the book project, and I'll finish in my free time," Edelman said. "It will take about a year to complete because now I've got a lot on my plate."


No comments:

Post a Comment