Friday, May 11, 2012

The Shopper: Harlem, N.Y.

Whats are They Buying

Shopper #1: Elizabeth Espinal
Store: MAC
Location: 202 West 125th Street
 MAC Elizabeth Espinal
Elizabeth Espinal, a freelance makeup artist, needed to refill her makeup kit for when she’s on the job. Citing MAC as her go-to brand, along with Nars and L’Oréal, the 26-year-old says she spends around $5,000 annually on beauty products. “I always need to replenish my kit, but I purchase for myself too,” says Espinal. Espinal relies on YouTube as her source for new products, tips and tricks. “I can’t stand a pushy salesperson,” she says. “When I need to learn about new products, I usually turn to YouTube. I understand the sales associates’ job is to sell, but if I tell someone I’m just looking and they come back to ask me again, it ruins the shopping experience.” Luckily, that wasn’t the experience today for Espinal, who has been a makeup artist for four years. Her favorite part of the job? “I love to see people’s reactions after I’ve given them a makeover.”

____________________________________________________________________________
Shopper #2: Adrienne Crudup
Store: Carol’s Daughter
Location: 24 West 125th Street

Adrienne Crudup, 47, used to trek from Queens to get her coveted products from Carol’s Daughter. Now that she lives in Harlem, the store is happily right at her doorstep. “I know of the new merchandise and the old and I’ve really grown to like the natural ingredients,” says Crudup. A preschool program director, Crudup says she spends about $1,000 annually on beauty purchases. “You have to switch up your products every six months,” says Crudup. “You also need to know how to shop for what works best for you.” The serene Carol’s Daughter in the epicenter of 125th Street is an ideal shopping experience for Crudup. “I don’t like overstock. I prefer organization. Also, I want to be acknowledged when I come into a store,” says Crudup, “and I felt that today.”

No comments:

Post a Comment